Saturday, June 14, 2014

Thing #19: Hobbies and other fun things to do


For Thing #19 I tried one of the listed apps: Spotify.  I love music and listen to it all the time.  My very first experience was not super great, but I tried it again to be sure and I did enjoy it then.  Similar in vein to Pandora, but it is based more on what you know and like already.  I like that I can pick specific songs and make a playlist and that it has a discovery menu feature.  However, since it is based on what you know and what you've already listened to--rather than a genre, decade, theme, etc.--it is not as good at being a discovery tool as Pandora is.  I think I'm going to use Spotify for playlists and Pandora for just listening.  There will be usage on professional time (though not actual professional usage), because I listen to music while working on the website and editing documents at my desk.    

I've also been looking for an app to go along with my baking hobby.  You know: good recipes, good images, the ability to save favorites, maybe the ability to input my own recipes.  I've tried several, but haven't found one that I love yet.  So the search continues.  I tried the the Better Homes and Gardens app, but even after trying to download the supposedly-compatible app 4 times, it won't open on my phone.  So I'm giving up on that ghost.

I also tried the Food Network app.  Great pictures and nice search feature.  The idea of organizing by cook obviously works for them, but I don't actually have the Food Network, so I don't know all of the people and their specialties.  Makes it more of an exploration/adventure to find a recipe for me.  Also, the recipe box feature (which allows you to save recipes) won't work properly on my phone.  A bit irritating.  However, I will be trying a few Barefoot Contessa recipes in the near future.....

No comments:

Post a Comment