Monday, June 9, 2014

Thing #14: The poor man's Spielberg (video-making)

 For Thing #14 I tried out the Magisto app.  It was a cool idea and I liked it, but it seems more in line with a celebratory video for the end of summer camp/8th grade/a 2-day team-building workshop than a work-presentation system.  Not that this particular vibe is a bad thing.  It was easy to figure out and everything came out looking pretty slick.  This would be a great way to create a video to run during a holiday/end-of-year party or when someone retires.  Not truly professional, but something quick, easy, and fun...for those fun moments at work that you shouldn't invest too much time in, but still wanna put in some effort.  

When I tried to create a really, really short video (with just 5 photos), it gave me the suggestion of adding more or inserting video.  This turned out to be legit advice.  One thing that I did not enjoy was that the app didn't like my phone's panorama pics.  This bums me out because I wanted to use it to create a time-lapse video of my container garden growing on my deck.  I may be able to trick it somehow, but without more time investment of changing the photos significantly, I'm not exactly sure how at the moment.  I'm also a little grumbly about only being able to use 10 images, but 45 seconds of video, and about not easily being about to select music that doesn't "match" the visual theme selected.  Seems a little unfair.   But it is free, so I'll stop complaining.

This is an app I will be holding on to for times when it is needed (and/or when I need to send a ridiculous video to a friend to cheer her up).

No comments:

Post a Comment