Monday, June 2, 2014

Thing #8: I protest this one

So, when I started the 23 Things (way back when it was negative 30 degrees and snowing), I told myself that I would try absolutely everything I could.  However, I will not be doing the Social Media Management one that is #8.  Obviously I participate in social media.  I have a facebook page and I'm active on it.  But it is a *personal* facebook page.  And it is not really connected to my professional life.  My personal and professional google+ sites are not connected to each other (though neither is particularly active due to my friends/colleagues not using it very often for anything besides hangout/video calls).  My personal and professional blogs are separate.  Not that you couldn't make connections between my personal and professional selves with some basic data harvesting and/or deductive reasoning, but I don't want them to be that obviously connected.  Since I do not want to manage my social media presences all in one place, I'm perfectly happy to remain ignorant of how to do it.  

Also, I'm not a believer in foursquare or twitter, but so as to not be a total stick in the mud I did join a new social media site for this thing.  OK.  New to me: I finally signed up for LinkedIn.

[But, as a further protest, I will not be putting a profile picture up, no matter what anyone says.  I know that LinkedIn is used by employers to search for info on future employees.  Since the point of LinkedIn is to be more open to contacts you don't know well on a personal level (unlike my view of facebook), I don't want too many limitations.  At the same time, it is illegal to use someone's appearance in judging them for a  job--in the library field, anyway.  If it is illegal for an employer to ask me to send a photo with my application, why in the world would I give them my photo online?  I'm not a hideous troll or anything, but I just don't need everyone to know what I look like right off the bat.]

To sum up, yeah.  I know I'm sort of cheating.  But at least I put some thought into it, right? And I am trying at least one new thing, so I feel I'm keeping with the spirit of things.  
     

No comments:

Post a Comment