Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Thing #10: Share (and share alike?)

I have had Instagram on my phone since I got it and just never got around to getting an account.  It seemed to be a way for my friends to take and share photos of their cats and kids on one more platform.  And for teens to share their...er...antics (?).  Since I have neither a cat nor kids, and since my teen years are long behind me, I figured it just wasn't for me.  I also thought everything on Instagram kinda looked like it was taken in about 1984 because of the filters.  However, once I used it, I actually kinda liked it.  The one issue: I'm not sure that I see a good professional use for it for me.  Maybe if I worked at a public library and was looking for another way to "be where the patrons are"?  But as a special collections librarian/archivist, I'm not sure I see the possibilities.   My work has an official Flickr page, and that is a great way to show off things, but Instagram isn't quite the same thing. 

However, it would be cool to hear what professional uses people have for this and other apps.  You know, without having to read a whole buncha blog posts that may or may not have that info.  Is there any thought to creating a digest of some of the better ideas that people write about?  Or maybe a way for the readers of our blogs to follow up with some of the good idea-havers and share what they actually end up doing?  Just some thoughts.    

I didn't use SnapChat.  I don't really like the idea.  A photo is a memory to me, so why would I not wanna keep it.  To make our images inherently ephemeral seems to me that people are living through their digital photos, rather than using them to capture those memories.  But I used to be a hobbyist photographer, and a photo archivist, so maybe that is part of what drives that opinion.  Also, everything that gets sent through snapchat seems to be stupid, dangerous, or risque.  Things that people want to share but don't necessarily want to remember.  (Oh, geez.  I sound really old when I say that. I'm not, but.... sigh....)

So, here's a screen shot of part o' my new container garden.  Edited using Color Splurge and then Instagrammed.  Fun!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment