Thursday, June 12, 2014

Thing #11: Library apps (isn't this all-meta-like?)

For Thing #11 I checked out (hehehe!  Library humor) the Dakota County Library app.  Not so much of a professional usage, but it will definitely come in handy for personal things.  I already had the 3M cloud app for my phone because I can't use my old-school Kindle with the 3M ebooks, only the overdrive ones.

I liked the concise mobile design, as well as the easy access to my account and the library catalog.  It was also cool to have the suggestions built right into the catalog, with suggestions of similar or related things.  The "Cool Stuff" section was neato, but involved proxies and signing in.  With these things (Novelist, Mango languages, zinio, etc.), plus the shortcuts to the various ebook systems, the app works like a nice landing page for various stuff and services.  The calendar of events was a bit clunky because you can't filter by location, day of the week, or time.  It is just a long list of things in chronological order.  This will be an app that I use.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment