Monday, June 9, 2014

Thing #13: Vacations and being out of order

I was out of town for a long weekend of visiting family.  This family happens to live in the Ozarks of Missouri, and the not-so-great availability of wi-fi and feasibility of bringing a computer along were no conducive to me doing "real" computing.  However, it made for a great opportunity to try out a bunch of the 23 Things apps at airports, during car rides, and late at night (when the older generation was fast asleep).  So the next few days will have me fulfilling my 23 things at a crazy pace, mostly because I had so much time to try stuff out over this mini-vacation.  However, it also means that I'm going to report on them a bit out of order.

For Thing #13, I tried Deck Slideshow Presentations.  I certainly could be useful for work presentations and I liked the animations and diagram/chart/flowchart options.  However, it was difficult to figure out how to do more traditional things or how to morph the provided materials into what I wanted. (Like, say I wanted 5 growing trees and not 3....couldn't figure out how to do it.)  In particular, the app seemed to want me to use only three points at any given time.

Also, there are only a few themes that are free or can be downloaded for free from the cloud.  The others cost varying amounts of money, and some of the fee-based themes didn't show you can example of it in action.  Not gonna pay each time I want a theme, especially if it is essentially sight-unseen.

I don't think I'll use this for personal uses.  I also don't see using it for professional uses.  While it is awfully slick, it is not that easy to use and I don't think that I will be using my phone to do this sort of thing.  Prezi, Google Presentations, and PowerPoint all seem like better options to me.  But who knows?  Maybe it will come in handy some day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment