Saturday, May 31, 2014

Thing #6: Creating docs on a tiny, tiny screen

For this Thing, I tried both QuickOffice and CloudOn.  Well, to be entirely truthful, I tried QuickOffice and I tried to try CloudOn.

QuickOffice had the definite advantage of being able to open Microsoft Docs as they are instead of translating them to GoogleDocs (which sometimes goofs up the formatting, etc.)  I can see using it to create Word documents or even spreadsheets on the go.  I created a short word document and the editing, formatting, etc. is pretty intuitive.  Editing an existing PowerPoint was easy, as was viewing it.  The viewing component opens up a whole new world of possibilities for conference talks.  It would be so great to not have to carry around a laptop that had the version of the software that I know will work, etc., etc.!

The problem with QuickOffice came when I tried to create a PowerPoint.  The content and formatting creation made sense, but I couldn't figure out how to get the pretty themes that are available from the real version of PowerPoint.  I might have to just create templates in advance if I know I will be using the mobile app to do any real work on a presentation.  

CloudOn sounded really good.  I watched their little video and connected it to my Hightail account when I signed in.  However, it wouldn't work.  Every time I tried to create a document, the app complained about my internet connection (which was working just fine).  If I can't get it to work at my house--with great wi-fi connectivity and no distractions or pressing deadlines--I won't be using it in the real world.

Ultimately, it is kind of annoying to create documents on my phone, regardless of which app is being used (QuickOffice or Google Docs/Drive).  It is just so small and--oh my goodness--how I hate the fact that I have to swipe-type or hunt-and-peck everything.  It takes a really, really long time.  And I can't figure out how to print any of these documents without connecting to a real computer.  Honestly, I think that I won't be using mobile devices for most of my creation of documents.

No comments:

Post a Comment