Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Thing #5: Notetaking, but with so few options

Of the four options that were promoted on the 23 things site, I could only try Remember the Milk.  The Dragon stuff looks cool, but is only for Apple, Bamboo Paper was not compatible with my device, and GooglePlay couldn't find SpringPad when I tried to get it (no matter what I did).

I liked the Remember the Milk app, mostly because it lets me check off things.  I love checking off things that are finished on my to-do lists!!  I particularly like the feature that if you don't complete something on one day, it moves onto the next day's list.  That is just reality at work, right there!

But--and this is a big one--it is definitely a task-list rather than a scheduler.  There are things on my to-do list that are time-specific and it is a little difficult to get specific times and locations to show up properly.  It is also a little unclear what happens to my completed tasks after a week.  Do they vanish or can I go back and view them, add repetitions, etc.?

I think that this will be more of a personal-use app, since my phone is normally in my purse during the work day.  And I like to carry around my daily list of tasks with me.  However, personally I think it will be pretty useful. If nothing else, it can be the annoying reminder voice to guilt me into doing the things I don't particularly want to do at any given time.  

I have evernote as a true notetaking app, but I have never really liked it.  I just plain old don't use it at all.  I'm way more likely to open up a new google doc on my phone's google drive and use it for note taking.  If I had something that would let me me write with a stylus (which I do not yet have) and/or my finger, I might use that more.

I did download the Papyrus--Natural Note Taking app.  It was free and promised awesomeness.  It seems just pretty OK.  If I pay them money I can get cool add-ons, but it will export to PDF or JPG that I can automatically share via my google drive, etc.  So it might be OK.  Here's an early attempt to sign my name:
It only sort of looks like a 4th grader did it!


No comments:

Post a Comment