Saturday, May 17, 2014

Thing #4: keeping up (with the Joneses)

I'm the kind of person who should definitely have RSS feeds for all kinds of sites.... but I don't.  Mostly because I've never taken the time to just sit down and set up a reader with subscriptions. 

I tried the Flipboard app and it is a nice looking, kinda fun-to-use way of organizing new content.  The only big problem I have with it? (And this is going to sound really lame...). It seems almost to nifty to put work stuff in.  Like only frivolous things from food blogs and fun sites, or maybe news belongs here.  But it is so visual that less "fun" content seems strange.  For example, I tried following ALA's press releases.  Good info but super boring looking.  Ultimately, putting work stuff in the same flipboard as my fun stuff is convenient and efficient, but it makes work stuff look extremely unfun.  Even if the content is great, it suffers by comparison because (I will admit it) i'm a visual person and the pictures make my fun content seem better. (Ooooo! Look at that! Shiny!)  I feel like this problem doesn't exist so much in the old school readers that were less visual.  Might have to have a work flipboard that I check at work and a fun one that I check at home.  This might make it less of a competition between the hip Joneses and their super-informative virtual neighbors.

[Written on my phone....]

No comments:

Post a Comment